July 19, 2013

Humans of New York

There's a lot of talk about diversity lately - whether it centers on violence, mixed-race families, same-sex marriage, or anti-apartheid heroes.

I believe that at the heart of most conflicts is a refusal to see your opponent. A real, live, feeling individual, who just happens to be different than you in one or many ways. This is why I love Humans of New York. This amazing photography project catalogues inhabitants of New York City, and pairs the images with quotes or stories. There are some serious gems in here.

"When my husband died, I said 'Moe, how am I supposed to live without you?' He told me: 'Take the love you have for me and spread it around.'" 
 

"What's your favorite thing about your dad?"
"He works really hard outside. But after that, he still rides bikes with me."
 



"What is your favorite thing about your wife?"
"She's sexy"
 
 
The project provides a glimpse into the lives of strangers with whom we may think we have nothing in common. I think the title is very important - Humans of New York. I might not be able to fully grasp the experiences conveyed in some of the interviews or images, but the humanity of the subjects shines through and makes me feel connected to them. Every time I start looking through the collection, I find something that makes me laugh and another quote that brings tears to my eyes.


"What's the meaning of life?"
"Wear chicken suits."
 

"What was the happiest moment of your life?"
"I'm pretty happy right now."

I cannot wait to buy the book! Hope you enjoy these photographs as much as I do.

Cheers,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fancy seeing you here.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading and responding!