July 24, 2013

3 Weight Loss Books that Might Just Change Your Life

While magazines and Pinterest ideas are nice, sometimes I prefer to get my health and fitness knowledge from more thorough sources. Here are some of my favorite health books:

 Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin


 
Bold title, no-holds-barred narrative, and very necessary advice. While the method of information delivery isn't everyone's cup of tea, I love it. I have been a vegan for 3 years, and this book still highlights ways I could improve my diet. One of my favorite quotes is "Whenever you see the words "fat free" or "low-fat," think of the words "chemical shit storm."
This book is written by two gorgeous women, and the information is strongly supported by their references section. Admittedly, I know a lot of people have a problem with the profanity present in the writing, and also the use of the term "skinny." The authors discuss the USDA, a list of recommended foods, the importance of paying attention to food labels, and many other things. The bottom line? Don't pick it up if you can't handle really, really tough love and quite a bit of profanity. Otherwise, enjoy!


Yogalosophy: 28 Days to the Ultimate Mind-Body Makeover by Mandy Ingber

 
Mandy Ingber is most commonly known as Jennifer Aniston's yoga teacher. I was attracted to the mind and body focus of this book. Ingber discusses her own past, daily intentions for a yoga practice, playlists, nutrition, and of course  several body-sculpting yoga routines. I adore this book. It has certainly advanced my personal yoga practice. Just when a routine starts to feel stale, she gives you an updated one. By far the most compassionate of the books listed here, Yogalosophy focuses on self-acceptance as an avenue to health.
 

 Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You by Jillian Michaels

 
Like most people, I first started paying attention to Jillian Michaels when she gained popularity from The Biggest Loser. While she is not portrayed as the nicest trainer ever, this woman gets results. Anyone who has tried her DVDs can vouch for the fact that she can make you feel like you're going to die (in a good way) in less than ten minutes. I wanted to hear more from her, so I picked up this book on a whim. Despite the somewhat overzealous title, I found solid advice. Designed for individuals trying to lose those stubborn last 10-20 pounds, Jillian gets back to the basics with instructions for taking measurements, designing meal plans, and holding yourself accountable for you own choices. I couldn't fully follow the meal plans she suggests (since I am a vegan), and I'm not sure I buy the whole "metabolic type" diet, but this is a great book for someone who likes an all-inclusive plan laid out for them.
 
 
Cheers,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fancy seeing you here.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading and responding!