November 1, 2013

Hello, November

 October is filled with apple picking and Halloween and about a million pictures of pretty leaves on Instagram. Of course, December has Christmas and New Years Eve and all the wonderful things that come with the holiday season. Nestled in between is November, with.....a holiday that basically becomes lost in the Christmas obsession. While I'm one of those (few?) people who doesn't mind seeing Christmas decorations in stores in October, there are some pretty great things about November itself.

1. No-Shave November

 I feel as if women everywhere decided to either love or hate No-Shave November (or Movember). While I understand not being attracted to the lumberjack look, the origins of the tradition are pretty great. Here's the concept, as described on the No Shave November website:

      "The goal of No-Shave November is to grow awareness by embracing our hair, which many cancer patients lose, and letting it grow wild and free.  Donate the money you usually spend on shaving and grooming for a month to educate about cancer prevention, save lives, and aid those fighting the battle." 

I think we can all agree that we'd like our fathers, brothers, boyfriends, uncles, whoever to be around as long as possible. If they have to grow crazy mustaches to encourage them to prioritize their health, I say go for it.

2. Thanksgiving Episodes



Friends is my favorite television show, no contest. During college, I used to keep it on the background while I spent hours and hours studying for my biology or chemistry classes. Even now, it never fails to make me laugh.

3. Warm Drinks

'Tis the season for hot chocolate, bourbon apple cider, and whatever else warms you up on the chilliest fall days. I'm a fan of almond milk chai lattes lately.

4. Farm Sanctuary's Adopt a Turkey Program

 Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because of family time and the emphasis on gratitude, not because I partake in the "traditional" meal. I'd rather spend my money on the awesome organization Farm Sanctuary, which rehabilitates and cares for farm animals. They invite the public to "adopt" one of the rescued turkeys at their sanctuary and give the turkeys their own celebration. I visited the New York shelter this year, and made friends with this guy (named Turpentine):



What's your favorite thing about November?


xo,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe its November already. October went by so fast, but Im excited for those thanksgiving episodes.

    -Vogue&Heels
    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete

Fancy seeing you here.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading and responding!