November 19, 2013

Ikea Desk Upcycle

In need of a desk and inspired by Kelly, I decided to grab the Vittsjo desk from Ikea for a DIY project. It's only $39.99, so I figured my project couldn't go too badly. The desk is the perfect size for me, and I like the streamlined, open/airy feel.



I picked up a jar of Liquid Leaf from a nearby craft store for just $6 and started applying it all over the steel frame using gloves (very important!) and a paper towel. I prefer liquid leaf to spray paint because it has additional depth. An old dress bag served as a drop-cloth to save my kitchen tile. This is what the first coat looked like: 



After allowing it to dry, I went back and applied a second layer of Liquid Leaf with a foam brush. The desk also comes with a little shelf, so I used plain old masking tape to create stripes. I subconsciously tried to channel Kate Spade a little, maybe?


Aaaand the finished product (although the space is certainly still in need of some styling): 



Stay tuned for more DIY projects! The joys of a new apartment...

xo,
Rachel

1 comment:

Fancy seeing you here.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading and responding!