November 6, 2013

On Being a (Terrible) Runner

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I don't particularly enjoying feeling like I'm performing any activity at a less than excellent level. As a result, I've sometimes avoided activities that don't come naturally to me. This trait has certainly made me miss out on some amazing experiences.




I've made it a personal goal to do things at which I'm terrible. Running is one of these things. I am prone to injury, slow as molasses, and usually miserable every step of the way. That's exactly why I keep doing it.

Chasing perfection instead of progress only hurts you. I might never have the best mile time or become an ultra-marathoner, but I am okay with that. I do it because it's good for me - for both my cardiovascular health, and for my level of humility.  I don't just risk failure - I readily invite it into my life. While I still devote myself fully to projects, work, and reaching my goals, I think it's healthy to have a "Phoebe" moment every now and then:



This weekend, I will be volunteering with my sorority alumnae group at the Disabled American Veterans 5K. We will be pushing veterans in wheelchairs through the Honor Roll course, and I am so excited to participate in this event. It's such an amazing privilege to be able to use my body freely and push it to its limits. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to thank some individuals who gave up this privilege to protect our freedoms.



xo,
Rachel
P.S. Online registration for the Cincinnati DAV 5K is closed, but you can still register on the day of the race! Details here. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post Little Bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, I just stumbled on this post as I was googling images for the word 'terrible.' and I am so glad that I did! I stole your challenge/change image from above, and I hope it is okay, but I included a link to this post on my blog. If you want to see it, here you go!

    http://seeingpasttheperfect.blogspot.com/2014/06/why-terrible-me.html

    ReplyDelete

Fancy seeing you here.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading and responding!