August 27, 2013

Shaken, Not Stirred

A martini is a beautiful thing - deceptively simple, revealing of the drinker's personality, high alcohol content, and the drink of choice for Mr. James Bond himself. The origin of the debonair drink remains a mystery, but the martini has become an iconic cocktail.

Generally, I like my martinis gin (obviously), straight up, with a twist. Dirty martinis are a close second favorite. Experts say martinis should be stirred, not shaken, to avoid "bruising" the gin. I won't pretend to be refined enough to detect the difference. My gin of choice tends to be Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire, mostly because virtually ever bar carries them. My absolute favorite is Hendrick's, though. It's beautiful. I could write poetry about this gin.

Martini (with a twist) Recipe:

        2 ounces gin of choice
        1 ounce dry vermouth
        Lemon zest twist for garnish

1. Place all ingredients, except for the lemon twist, into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
2. Vigorously shake the mixture for about 30 seconds and then double strain into a cocktail glass
3. Gently twist the lemon zest over the drink and drop into the glass
4. Slip into something that makes you feel like a Bond girl and serve immediately



As much as I love the classic martini, I'm dying to try some of these fun recipes!

Peach Pomegranate Martini
Citrus Drop Martini
Earl Grey Martini


If you're a truly devoted lover of martinis, there are plenty of ways to bring them into your life without becoming an alcoholic. 

For your apartment:



For the man in your life: 


For your amusement:


Cheers,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fancy seeing you here.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - I love reading and responding!